Thursday, 6 March 2008

Meri Wells

I love Meri's work and the description she has about the pieces:

'I work in a tin shed in a valley.

The figures from the 'Procession' come out of the hedge that I can see from the window. They march past reviving forgotten imagery of childhood stories and our cultural myths. I try to draw them in that first fleeting glimpse.

They are made from coiled, grog clay and either wood and salt fired or burnished and low fired.

I see them as sort of elemental beings.

Some of the pieces on show are part of a large and ongoing collection of creatures, eventually to be exhibited in their entirety. I teach part time to keep myself in clay.'

Influences
A solitary childhood, the natural world, children's' literature, early religious iconography, mythology especially Celtic

Personal website www.carrog.co.uk



No comments: