Sunday, 18 October 2009

Sophie Calle & wandering...

New exhibition, first major one by Sophie Calle at Whitechapel opened on Friday. Of course by Sunday it was packed but I really wanted to go based on the description:

The exhibition premieres the English language version of Prenez soin de vous (Take Care of Yourself), a highlight of the 2007 Venice Biennale. Calle invited 107 women from a ballerina to a lawyer to use their professional skills to interpret an email in which her partner breaks up with her. The poignant, amusing and poetic result forms a large-scale installation that transcends the personal to provide a monument to the women involved.

Really excellent review of her work I felt, elegantly curated (although I hate the layout of the Whitechapel). Bought a book of texts about her work as the exhibition catalogue was £56!!! ridiculous. This was the only photo I took as I love the fact that the text is slowly faded out by the sandblown glass, a perfect metaphor for someone not listening to the story or it being obscured, such a lovely idea to represent this concept.



oh and then I was awalking, so bloody cold but stumbled across my favourite building, nice to see it close up, very green.


No comments: