Wednesday, 6 January 2010

Tamiko tutorial

Presented: video projection onto globe, photos of work made so far, photos of work from before Masters.

We spoke about my proposal and how it was very heavy and serious and pulling down any of the practical work that I was making as it was impossible for the real work to live up to the ideas expressed in my proposal.

Tamiko's advice was to put the proposal to one side for the moment and concentrate on expanding some of the ideas I have started with my practical work. Take the most promising experiments and really push them in all directions to explore and develop making ideas.

Coming from a design background I have launched myself straight into a philosophical and scientific debate and although my ideas are interesting, it has the hallmarks of someone who has recently begun thinking as a fine artist. I need to acknowledge and appreciate my background and the fact that the work is still reflecting this more playful side and somehow merge this work with the key points in my theoretical debate to create a cohesive whole.

Maybe, after I have made some more pieces (that are photographed properly - valued by me - and in a way that the magical elements and qualities that can start to be seen in the flesh, are represented in the presentation of the work) I need to change the objectives of my proposal - perhaps to have the core idea to 'enrich my work through a study / exploration of fantasy and dreams'. Also writing about desirability of the objects and materials. Explained that confidence in my work had disappeared, I need to not be negative and see that I have made quite a lot of work and it is not all 'not working'.

Recommended book: On Longing by Susan Stewart.

No comments: